Following January’s activist training, I have one objective that requires your help putting together two things:
1) create the content for a survey and-or survey template.
2) create a mechanism, compatible with WordPress, that distributes and collects anonymous survey data.
Regarding #2, Seattle Privacy Coalition could host an onion site, but that would require our activists to be comfortable with downloading and using Tor Browser Bundle before their training. Is that an acceptable requirement? a public Apache server could be configured to minimize the logged data, but the activist’s ISP and our website’s ISP would still have records. Is that an acceptable risk?
The survey as it exists:
- Do you use a cell phone when participating in protests?
- What is the operating system of the cell phone that you take to protests?
- Select the capabilities of said cell phone:
- Phone calls
- SMS (text messaging)
- Data (internet access via 2G, 3G, or 4G)
- Video camera
- (fill in the blank)
- When participating in protests, what communication platforms do you use?
- Google Hangouts
- Apple iMessage
- Facebook Chat
- (fill in the blank)
- Do you know any differences between HTTP and HTTPS?
- Have you used privacy enhancing tools such as a VPN or Tor, either on a computer or on a cell phone?
- Have you ever sent an encrypted email before?
- Is your cell phone password protected?
- Yes, with a pin number
- Yes, with a password
- Yes, with a pattern
- Yes, with a fingerprint
- Yes, with a faceprint
- Is your cell phone’s storage encrypted?
- Do you know what an IMSI-catcher, or “Stingray”, is?
- Regarding the personal computer that you use to coordinate protests, what is its operating system?
- Have you ever had a personal computing device seized or confiscated?
- Are you currently a victim of active surveillance?
- Do you drive, carpool, bus, bike, or walk to protests?
- Do you use your electronic debit, credit, and/or bus card(s) before, during, or after attending a protest?
- Yes, debit/credit
- Yes, bus (Orca) card
- Do you have access to a technical specialist when you have questions about digital safety tools and practices?
- What topics would you like to see covered at this workshop?
- Will you be bringing your cell phone or laptop to the workshop? We encourage you to for our hands-on training.